State of Attorney Banner
Home Our Office Case Information Victim Witness Information Resources / Information Newsroom Join the Team     Addiction Recovery Task Force

Main Directory



Resources / Information


What if I am or Know A Victim of Identity Theft?

If you suspect that you or someone you know is a victim of identity theft, contact your local police department and request a copy of the report.

Once you receive a copy of the police report, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by contacting 1-877-438-4338.

The victim of identity theft should immediately contact their bank and/or credit card companies and close all affected accounts. Fraud alerts should be placed with the three credit reporting agencies:

  • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
  • Experian: 1-888-397-3742
  • Transunion: 1-800-680-7289

The victim should keep a detailed log of who they have contacted, and copies of all correspondence.

After your case is investigated the law enforcement agency involved will file criminal charges with the Office of the State Attorney for prosecution.